Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A NEW APRON AND PEANUT BUTTER CUP COOKIES

Thanksgiving is in two days (Wow, where has the year gone?) This year, we are spending the holiday with good friends of ours, the Myers. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am about that. Last year, it was just the four of us, which was wonderful, but it's SO nice to be able to share the day with such great friends. Tomorrow night, another couple of our friends are hosting Happy Hour for those of us who are staying in the hood. They're smoking a briskette (sp?), so I thought I'd bring something sweet. (I'm also responsible for all desserts for Turkey Day - I'll be baking ALL afternoon tomorrow). So since tomorrow will be consumed with Turkey Day treats, I baked Happy Hour treats today.

First, I donned my new Apron. I want to thank Larissa at Just Another Day in Paradise for the inspiration. She blogged about her new apron that she made out of a placemat from Walmart. I had seen those same placemats and thought they were really pretty. After seeing her post, I went back to get one. To my delight, they were on clearance, and I got mine for $1.50. I came home, added some ribbon for the tie, and Voila... A new Apron.
Before I started baking, I solicited some help.
I outfitted my 3 year old, Luke, with his own apron and put him to work.
His help lasted until I started using the mixer. He's not a fan of loud noises. I know, a mixer's not loud, but I guess to him it was.

We made Peanut Butter Cup Cookies. I want to thank Amy at The Idea Room for the recipe.

They were super easy, with the most time consuming part being cutting up the PB cups.

I thought I would share the recipe with you. You could easily whip some up for this holiday weekend.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar ( I don't think mine was "dark")
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 12-once package of small peanut butter cups - chopped into quarters

Directions:
Heat oven to 375
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I didn't do this)
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
Fold in the peanut butter cups.
Drop tablespoon-size mounds of dough 2" apart onto the baking sheets
Bake for 9 minutes (the original recipe said to bake for 12-15 minutes - mine at 9 minutes were perfect. I think 12-15 to burn them)

Yields about 3 dozen

Hope you try them. They're Yummy!!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails