Monday, October 11, 2010

HALLOWEEN WREATH... TAKE TWO!!

If you saw my post from last week regarding my Candy Corn Twig Wreath, then you know that within 24 hours of creation, it started to have issues. One, it was a major attraction for bees...
and Two, the candies started to melt.
So even though it hadn't even been hanging for 48 hours, on Sunday morning it was taken down and dismantled. Now what to do?

Never fear... I had another vision...

How about, styrofoam, toothpicks, and spray paint?

Here's my SECOND Halloween Wreath
I had talked to my Mom last week about a Christmas decoration that we had while I was growing up. It was a little Christmas tree made out of styrofoam balls and toothpicks, and had little red ornaments. I knew she had made it (some 35? years ago), so I got the details because I wanted to make one just like it. Then my mind starting churning... why not use the same concept for a wreath? And why not try it for Halloween?

Yesterday afternoon, I was off to the craft store. I had to go to Joann's because the greatest craft store EVER didn't have it's Grand Opening until today. And can you guess what store I'm talking about? Wait for it......

HOBBY LOBBY!!!!!! I can't even tell you how excited I am that the area of the country in which I reside, is FINALLY getting a Hobby Lobby. And can you believe it, I DID NOT go to the Grand Opening? I'm not able to make it there until this Wednesday, and the anticipation is killing me!!!

Anyway, back to the project...

Here are the list of supplies:
- wire hanger
- 3" styrofoam balls (I bought [2] 6 packs and used [11])
- 1600 round toothpicks (not colored) I pretty much used ALL of them
- spray paint (I used Valspar - Black Satin)
- small ornaments (the kind that have a hanging collar that can be removed so the bulbs can be slid onto the toothpicks)
- ribbon
After bending and molding the wire hanger into an approximate 12" circle, I slid the styrofoam balls onto the wire. Once they were all into position, I wrapped the two hanger ends around each other to secure the balls into place.
And then the fun (and a little bit of pain) began!!!! Cover the balls with toothpicks. I did not cover the entire ball - I didn't do the backs. This part of the project is time consuming and can be a little "prickly".
Once the balls are sufficiently covered to your liking, then you can spray paint. This was my first spray paint job EVER. What fun!!! Why did I wait so long? Can't wait to spray a lot more stuff.
After the paint dries (maybe 15 minutes) then you can add the ribbon and the ornaments.

Just think of the endless possibilites for ALL the holidays.

I'm linking up here. Go check them out to see all the other great ideas.
mmm buttonSYS ThursgiveawaysJoin  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap    up           party!UndertheTableandDreaming

This project was Featured here...
Sassy SanctuaryUndertheTableandDreaming


14 comments:

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Oooo... SO CUTE! Love this wreath!! And you will LOVE Hobby Lobby!! It is SOOOO FABULOUS! :)

Krystal said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway. I LOVE your wreath! It is so unique and cool looking. Way impressed! I'm going to feature this post this weekend in my inspiration file, so watch for it. :)

Unknown said...

Kristol try dipping the candy corn in a clear varnish, let them dry and then put them on a wreath. That SHOULD take care of the problems.

Dorothy said...

That is an amazing wreath. Definitely fits into a spooky category. =)

Mom in High Heels said...

So cute! What a great idea! I can't believe you've NEVER spray painted before! What have you been waiting for? I loves me some spray paint!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

I am so impressed with the way this turned out! So very clever and creative and the possibilities are mind boggling. I've got to try this with a styrofoam wreath blank. Welcome to the spray paint sisterhood, by the way.

Cate said...

Very cool! Stop by Random Crafty Georgia Girl and link up to Week in Review.
-Cate from Random Crafty Georgia Girl
http://olliebelle20.blogspot.com

Katherine said...

OMG-this is such a great idea! I love how the toothpicks give it a spiky texture-perfect for Halloween!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Kristol! Just wanted to let you know I featured this today. Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunday Showcase Party. I greatly appreciate it. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Judy H. said...

This is INCREDIBLE!!!

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

How on earth I didn't see this before?! This is just so amazing and cool. I cannot wait to attempt to do this!

Rebecca said...

How do you get the balls to stay on the wreath?

Michelle said...

Awesome Wreath...

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

WOW! How creative is this?! I'm including your fabulous wreath in a mega Halloween Wreath round-up post on my blog in October : )
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails